Planning Applications

What is Planning Permission Q&A (Scotland)?

Q: What is it?

A: It refers to the approval given by the Local Authority under the power given to it by the 1948 Town and Country Planning Act to allow the building of, or changes to, a building.

Q: Do you need it?

A: Yes, for a new build house, planning permission is required. However, in certain cases, you can apply for permitted development for smaller projects, such as an extension.

Q: What type of applications are available?

A: There are two types of planning permission: planning permission in principle and full planning permission. Additionally, other consents related to development include listed building consent and conservation area consent. Some Local Authorities also offer Pre-application Advice, an optional service that provides insight into how development policies apply, offers guidance from a planning officer, and identifies potential issues.

Q: Am I guaranteed Planning Permission?

A: No, planning permission cannot and should not be guaranteed. For complex proposals, you can appoint a Planning Consultant as part of the Design Team. They possess in-depth knowledge of planning policies and can assist in overcoming challenging hurdles.

Q: How much does it cost?

A: Both full planning permission and planning permission in principle for a single new dwelling cost £600 per application.

Q: How long does full planning permission take?

A: The timeframe for obtaining full planning permission can vary depending on the complexity of the proposal. According to the website, planning applications are typically decided within 2 months. Within this period, time is allocated for neighborhood notification and consultation.

Q: I have approved planning consent – what next?

A: Your Local Authority might have granted planning permission with specific conditions. These conditions are outlined in the decision notice and can vary based on the development’s nature. Some conditions must be addressed before construction work begins, and they may take several weeks to discharge. Failing to address them could invalidate your planning permission. To request the discharge of conditions, you’ll usually need to provide evidence or demonstrate why they should be approved, using the form provided by the Local Authority.

Q: Do I need to notify the Council when I start construction?

A: Yes, you should use the forms provided by the Local Authorities for both commencing and completing the development.

Q: What happens if I deviate away from the approved design?

A: Whenever possible, avoid making changes to the approved documents without obtaining prior permission, as this may lead to complications later on. If changes are necessary, you have three options:

  • A non-material amendment: for insignificant changes that do not require varying the original approval.
  • A minor material amendment: for more substantial changes that necessitate an application to amend the original approval.
  • A material amendment: for significant changes that deviate too far from the approved proposal, requiring a new full planning application.

Q: Anything else I should be aware of?

A: Approved planning consent is valid for 3 years. If you don’t initiate your project within this timeframe, you’ll need to submit a new planning application.

Browse knowledge by stage:

Featured knowledge View all

Rocket Architectural Design
Complete end-to-end architectural solutions for developments of all shapes and sizes

Let our experienced, approachable team guide you through your project with complete confidence and peace of mind. Let’s get the conversation started.


Contact us today